Manolis Chiotis was the most important player of the Greek bouzouki during the 1960s. He played the bouzouki in many movies, and many clips from those movies are available at youtube. Even Jimi Hendrix has been influenced by Manolis Chiotis. Manolis Chiotis has also taken part in the development of the modern bouzouki.
If you like the sound of the Greek bouzouki and the typical Greek music you can watch the following videos.
I have compiled a playlist with the best clips that I have found with Manolis Chiotis.
Playlist with more Movies with Manolis Chiotis
Manolis Chiotis with his instruments
Playlist Manolis Hotis – Bouzouki
Playlist von αποστόλης βαρδίκος
Wikipedia about Manolis Chiotis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manolis_Chiotis
Manolis Chiotis (Greek: Μανώλης Χιώτης; March 21, 1920, Thessaloniki – March 21, 1970, Athens) was a Greek rebetiko and laiko composer, singer and bouzouki player. He is considered one of the greatest bouzouki soloists of all time. He invented the four-course bouzouki (tetrachordo) and introduced the guitar-like tuning, who found it better suited to the kind of virtuoso playing he was famous for.
Chiotis died on his 50th birthday, March 21, 1970.
Read my other articles about Greek music and the Bouzouki:
- Attika Plucked String Orchestra 2012 – Music by Manos Hadzidakis and Mikis Theodorakis – With the Opus Femina Choir and Soloists
- The Cretan Laouto – A Big and Great Sounding Instrument from Greece
- Kostas Grigoreas – In the Greek Mode – Compositions for Guitar by Greek Composers
- Manos Hadjidakis – Gioconda’s Smile – Greece – With Mandolins and Guitars
- New York Rock & Roll Ensemble – Reflections – Manos Hadjidakis – Kemal