Caterina Lichtenberg and Mike Marshall have played a concert at the Carmel Bach Festival in 2014. A set of youtube videos from this concert is available. You can hear the concerto for oboe and violin BWV 1060 by J. S. Bach, two concert by Antonio Vivaldi and as a great finale the choro Santa Morena.
Caterina Lichtenberg plays on a broque mandolin and on her German bowlback mandolin.
Have fun with Caterina Lichtenberg and Mike Marshall!
Playlist Caterina Lichtenberg and Mike Marshall – Carmel Bach Festival 2014
Website Carmel Bach Festival
Artcicle about the program of the Carmel Bach Festival : Carmel Bach Festival 2014
Partnerlink – CD Caterina Lichtenberg & Mike Marshall at Amazon
The TonArt Quartet is a profesional mandolin ensemble composed of
- Sabine Marz – mandolin
- Natalia Korsak – mandolin
- Nicholas Maretsky – mandola
- Marina Romeyko – piano
This quartet has given a concert in the Philharmony in Minsk on October 24th 2014. A set of videos from this concert is available at youtube.
The TonArt quartet has played a program of works by Johannes Brahms, Antonin Dvorak, Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy, Raffaele Calace, Mikis Theodorakis, Yasuo Kuwahara.
As a part of this concert obviously there was also a performance by the new mandolin- and guitar-ensemble EXPRESSION, one video shows this mandolin orchestra with a piece composed by Claudio Mandolico.
Playlist TonArt Quartet
- Sirtaki – Mikis Theodorakis
- Ouvertüre from I Gitonia ton Angelon (Viertel der Engel, Kambanellis) – Mikis Theodorakis
- “Stomp” – Claudio Mandonico (Guitar Mandolin Orchestra EXPRESSION)
- Sabre Dance – Aram Khachaturian
- Slavian Dance No. 2 – Antonin Dvorak
- Hungarian Dance No. 1 in g-minor – Johannes Brahms.
- Saltarello – Raffaele Calace
- Dance of the fire – Yasuo Kuwahara
- Saltarello from the Italian Symphony – F. Mendelssohn-Bartholdy
- Mikis Theodorakis Popular Orchestra “I Gitonia Ton Aggelon” Instrumental (Live) (to compare with the arrangement by the TonArt quartet)
youtube channel Bouroff with more videos featuring balalaika, domra and mandolin
youtube channel Sabine Marzé
The Gibson Mandolin and Guitar Company has very much influenced the history of the mandolin in the USA. Orville Gibson had developed his very special mandolin models during the last decades of the 19th century. In 1902 he sold the patents for his mandolins to some businessmen who then founded the Gibson mandolin and guitar company.
The mandolin models designed by Orville Gibson and the models that the Gibson company designed from those models – the F model with the scroll and the A model – have almost completely replaced the typical Italian bowlback models during the following years.
I have compiled some videos about Orville Gibson in my playlist:
Playliste Orville Gibson
- CES 2014: Orville Gibson’s Workbench
- The Ballad Of Orville Gibson
- George Gruhn on the Orville Gibson Mandolin IBMA 2008
- Gibson Guitars at CES 2014
Tim May and David Harveyhave presented their collection of vintage Gibson instruments in the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum, those videos are contained in the following playlist:
Playlist – Vintage Gibson
A closer look at instruments used in mandolin orchestras in the early 20th Century…. Acoustic superpickers Tim May and David Harvey brought out their personal vintage Gibson colllections at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum on June 27, 2007, for one powerful demonstration of the enduring quality of these old treasures. www.timmaymusic.net www.davidharveymusic.com
Articles and more sources about Orville Gibson
The Mazurka Op. 141 by Raffaele Calace is a piece that is being played quite often. I have collected a playlist with the best videos of this piece.
You can hear:
- The Duo 14 strings from Italy (mandolin & guitar)
http://www.14strings.it Tiziano Palladino al Mandolino e Isidoro Nugnes alla Chitarra (14strings Duo) eseguono la MAZURKA Op. 141 di Raffaele Calace durante un Concerto live presso l’IMAM di Larino
- An unknown mandolin orchestra
- Gianni Migliaccio and Paolino Coppeto
- The Devine Nix Duo (mandolin & guitar)
The Devine Nix Duo – Chris Devine, mandolin and Michael Nix, guitar
- Athenian Mandolinata “Nicolaos Lavdas”
- Dutch Mandolin Chamber Orchestra HET CONSORT
- ΝΙΚΟΣ ΡΟΓΚΑΚΟΣ und ΒΑΝΤΑ ΠΟΛΙΤΗ (mandolin & piano)
- Patrizio Petrucci, mandolino, Ilenia Fiore, piano (mandolin & piano)
- Carlo Aonzo mandolino, Valeria Ubertino chitarra (mandolin & guitar)
- Duo Bonizzoni-Colella (mandolin & harp)
Playliste – Calace VI Mazurka Op. 141
The sheet music of the Mazurka is available form the site of the Italian plucked strings association FMI: