Enrico Marucelli (1877 – 1907) was a bass player, guitarist, mandolin player, conductor and successfull composer. He was born in Florence and played in the Reale Circolo Mandolinistico Regina Margherita where he met several other famous mandolin players like Bianchi, Graziani-Walter, Matini and Carlo Munier.
During the 1890s he went to London as a popular teacher and conductor. He conducted a Ladies Guitar and Mandolin Band, Rimembranze d’Amore is dedicated to this early mandolin orchestra. In the year 1900 Marucelli conducted an en masse orchestra with 500 players, during this concert Marucelli’s composition Spagnola has been performed.
Enrico Marucelli has also published two mandolin methods (I am still looking to get those methods…) and a guitar method.
The most famous composition by Marucelli is the Valtzer Fantastico which is dedicated to Eduardo Mazzacapo.
My favorite video with the Valtzer Fantastico – played by Mathieu Sarthe-Mouréou and Yann Pistien, played on a Vinaccia mandolin built in 1910.
[HD] Enrico Marucelli – Valtzer Fantastico for mandolin & guitar (LIVE)
Enrico Marucelli’s Valtzer Fantastico for mandolin & guitar performed by Yann Pistien (guitar) and Mathieu Sarthe-Mouréou (1910 P.Vinaccia Mandolin).
There are many recordings of the Valtzer Fantastico in my youtube playlist.
Another famous piece by Enrico Marucelli is the Capriccio Zingaresco.
This is the fantastic recording with Detlef Tewes and Boris Bagger from the CD Romantic Mandolin Moments:
Enrico Marucelli Capriccio Zingaresco Mandolin Guitar Detlef Tewes Boris Björn Bagger
Playlist Enrico Marucelli – Valzer Fantastico – Mandolin & Guitar / Mandolin Quintet
I have added all the videos with other compositions by Enrico Marucelli as well to this playlist.
Works by Enrico Marucelli
Works by Enrico Marucelli contained in the Nakano Library (works that are available at youtube are in bold font)
- 3a Gavotta for mandolin quartet
- Capriccio Zingaresco for mandolin quartet / mandolin and piano: All’Egregio Prof. BENOTTI in segno di amicizia e di stima
- Caricature Op. 20 – Polka for mandolin or violin and guitar
- Chi e? – Polka Populare; Riduzione di E. Marucelli; mandolin quartet
- Diavoli Bianchi, Polka; mandolin and guitar
- Fin de Siecle, Valzer Brillante; mandolin quartet
- L’Avvenire, Valzer; mandolin and guitar or mandolin and piano
- La Giostra, Mazurka; mandolin and guitar
- La Pattuglia, Pezzo Caratteristico; mandolin and piano; guitar part by J. Nakano
- Lionella, Mazurka; mandolin and piano
- Melodie Charmante; mandolin quartet or mandolin and guitar
- Moto Perpetuo, mandolin quartetor mandolin and piano
- Patrol, Pezzo Caratteristico; mandolin quartet;
- Polonese di Concerto, All’amico carissimo Gino Cinganelli; mandolin quartet or mandolin and piano
- Rimembranze d’Amore (Love’s Remembrances); Intermezzo, To the Ladies Guitar and Mandolin Band; mandolin quartet
- Scherzo Militare; Pezzo Caratteristico; mandolin quartet
- Sérénade des Amoureux; mandolin quartet
- Serenatella Spagnola, All’amico Luigi Filanci; mandolin quartet
- Sguardi Provocanti, Valzer; mandolin and guitar
- Treno Lampo, Polka; mandolin and guitar
- Valtzer Fantastico (Valtzer di Concerto), A Eduardo Mazzacapo; mandolin quartet or mandolin and piano
I have found one more piece by Enrico Marucelli in the collection Repertorio del Mandolinista which is available as free download from my homepage MandoIsland on page free sheet music
- Una Gita a Spezia
Marucelli has also published some compositions under the name E. Mario Celli – I have found two compositions in the Nakano Library:
- Elegia for mandolin quartet
- Pensieri Fugaci for mandolin quartet